UC San Diego SearchMenu

Obtaining Accommodations

In order for the OSD to determine reasonable accommodations, the student must submit all paperwork (Intake Form (PDF), Consent Form (PDF), and Documentation Forms) and engage in dialogue with a Disability Specialist about how the student's current functional limitations impact him/her in the following areas: Classrooms/Labs, Exams, Campus Living, and Program Modifications.

Students are expected to be familiar with the types of accommodations they may obtain from registering with the OSD.

Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) Letters

Once the Disability Specialist and student have agreed upon accommodations for a given quarter, an Authorization for Accommodation (AFA) letter will be issued. Students may schedule an appointment to obtain AFA letters any time after registering for classes, and students are encouraged to obtain AFA letters before the start of the new quarter. 

As soon as students obtain the AFA letter, students should contact faculty via phone or email to schedule an appointment. During the meeting with faculty, students must review the course syllabus and discuss accommodation arrangements for the quarter. If faculty ask students to work with an OSD Academic Liaison or other staff member, such as a teaching assistant, students must have the faculty sign ALL copies of the AFA letter. Students must then make an appointment and meet with the Liaison/staff member as soon as possible and share the AFA letter signed by faculty.

For Classroom/Lab, and Exam accommodations, the student is responsible for sharing the AFA letter with faculty and, as directed by faculty, to OSD Academic Liaisons and teaching assistants. The Disability Specialist will direct the student to the appropriate person to share the AFA letter for Campus Living accommodations and Program Modifications.

If further assistance is needed and/or if you feel that reasonable and appropriate accommodations are not being provided in a timely manner, you must contact the OSD immediately and request assistance from an OSD staff member. If issues remain unresolved, you may also contact the OSD Director. Remember that accommodations will NOT be provided retroactively.